NGO Decentralised Environmental Solutions (DES) - A New WECF Partner in South Africa
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES) was founded in South Africa.
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES), the new WECF partner in South Africa, was founded.
DES's vision is to link energy, water and food security in policy and local action - "clean, lean and green". The NGO strives to promote self-sustainable communities through linking innovative environmental solutions to people’s livelihood strategies in South Africa and focuses mainly on the following issues:
- A healthier life through Improved Sanitation for All,
- Sustainable agriculture through usage of nutrient rich effluent and
- Food security and Job creation.
The starting points of the DES programme are the following projects:
- Memorandum of Understanding between eThekwini Municipality, BORDA, Khanyisa Projects and Universitiy of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) on the treatment and re-use of domestic wastewater in Newlands Mashu, Durban.
- Memorandum of Understanding between Ethekwini Municipality-BORDA-HERING-UKZN on prefabricated Community Ablution Blocks and DEWATS treatment modules
More detailed information about the activities of Decentralised Environmental Solution (DES) can be found on www.des-za.org and on BORDA-SADC website.
WECF presents Water and Sanitation Safety Plans to African, South American and Asian officials and stakeholders
WECF held a one day training on Water and Sanitation Safety Plans (WSSP) at Technical University of Dresden
Taking Responsibility for their own Wastewater Treatment
A new step for the villagers of An Oston, Kyrgyzstan
"Water is life. But proper sanitation is dignity"
Ecological sanitation as an opportunity for rural areas of Albania
Implementing SDG 5, 6 and 7 in Rural Uganda
Examples for gender-sensitive and sustainable WASH and energy systems and its implementation
How dry toilets can both reduce use of chemicals and contamination of drink water sources
Impression of an ecosan toilet workshop in Macedonia