NGO Decentralised Environmental Solutions (DES) - A New WECF Partner in South Africa
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES) was founded in South Africa.
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES), the new WECF partner in South Africa, was founded.
DES's vision is to link energy, water and food security in policy and local action - "clean, lean and green". The NGO strives to promote self-sustainable communities through linking innovative environmental solutions to people’s livelihood strategies in South Africa and focuses mainly on the following issues:
- A healthier life through Improved Sanitation for All,
- Sustainable agriculture through usage of nutrient rich effluent and
- Food security and Job creation.
The starting points of the DES programme are the following projects:
- Memorandum of Understanding between eThekwini Municipality, BORDA, Khanyisa Projects and Universitiy of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) on the treatment and re-use of domestic wastewater in Newlands Mashu, Durban.
- Memorandum of Understanding between Ethekwini Municipality-BORDA-HERING-UKZN on prefabricated Community Ablution Blocks and DEWATS treatment modules
More detailed information about the activities of Decentralised Environmental Solution (DES) can be found on www.des-za.org and on BORDA-SADC website.
World Water Day 2018!
"Worries about consequences for children of pesticides present in water" - Report from Drenthe
Far too many residues of pesticides are present in the waters of Drenthe (Dutch province). This needs to be reduced. But how?
A Plastic Free Lent
Join us on our challenge for this Lent: reduce your plastics consumption for 40 days!
SDG6: Leave no-one behind
Stakeholder consultation on water and sanitation in Bokonbaev, Kyrgyzstan
English summary of WECF publication on pesticides in surface waters in Dutch province Drenthe
For our non Dutch readers we now publish an English summary of the publication about pesticide pollution in the surface waters of Drenthe