NGO Decentralised Environmental Solutions (DES) - A New WECF Partner in South Africa
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES) was founded in South Africa.
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES), the new WECF partner in South Africa, was founded.
DES's vision is to link energy, water and food security in policy and local action - "clean, lean and green". The NGO strives to promote self-sustainable communities through linking innovative environmental solutions to people’s livelihood strategies in South Africa and focuses mainly on the following issues:
- A healthier life through Improved Sanitation for All,
- Sustainable agriculture through usage of nutrient rich effluent and
- Food security and Job creation.
The starting points of the DES programme are the following projects:
- Memorandum of Understanding between eThekwini Municipality, BORDA, Khanyisa Projects and Universitiy of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) on the treatment and re-use of domestic wastewater in Newlands Mashu, Durban.
- Memorandum of Understanding between Ethekwini Municipality-BORDA-HERING-UKZN on prefabricated Community Ablution Blocks and DEWATS treatment modules
More detailed information about the activities of Decentralised Environmental Solution (DES) can be found on www.des-za.org and on BORDA-SADC website.
The importance of women’s initiatives to address water and sanitation problems
WECF participation in Regional workshop on achieving equitable access to water and sanitation
26.04.2016 | WECF
WECF and partners developed training module on Construction, Use, Monitoring and maintenance of Solar Water Heaters
Training modules on Construction, Use, Monitoring and Maintenance of Solar Water Heaters are made available by WECF
Sustainable and Safe Water for An-Oston – A community takes responsibility for its water supply
A historical day for An-Oston: the community based drinking water users union (CDWUU) general assembly agreed unanimously on its new water tariff of 35 KGS/m3 on February, the 1st, 2016.
"Germ free hands and happy smiling faces at Kyrgyzstan kindergardens"
Handwashing Day in the village of Bokonbayev
Water, Sanitation and Gender Equal Development
International conference organised by WECF and FOE Georgia in Tiblisi, Georgia, gave concrete examples gender equal local sustainable development projects