NGO Decentralised Environmental Solutions (DES) - A New WECF Partner in South Africa
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES) was founded in South Africa.
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES), the new WECF partner in South Africa, was founded.
DES's vision is to link energy, water and food security in policy and local action - "clean, lean and green". The NGO strives to promote self-sustainable communities through linking innovative environmental solutions to people’s livelihood strategies in South Africa and focuses mainly on the following issues:
- A healthier life through Improved Sanitation for All,
- Sustainable agriculture through usage of nutrient rich effluent and
- Food security and Job creation.
The starting points of the DES programme are the following projects:
- Memorandum of Understanding between eThekwini Municipality, BORDA, Khanyisa Projects and Universitiy of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) on the treatment and re-use of domestic wastewater in Newlands Mashu, Durban.
- Memorandum of Understanding between Ethekwini Municipality-BORDA-HERING-UKZN on prefabricated Community Ablution Blocks and DEWATS treatment modules
More detailed information about the activities of Decentralised Environmental Solution (DES) can be found on www.des-za.org and on BORDA-SADC website.
Combining ecological sanitation and the production of Terra Preta soil in Kyrgyzstan
Ecosan toilets or Urine Diverting Dry Toilets (UDDT) are an adequate and sustainable sanitation solution in areas where there is no piped water and sewerage.
Bigger cucumbers in Kyrgyzstan thanks to ecosan toilets
World Toilet Day remembers us that proper sanitation is not common all over the world
International Hand Washing Day in Kyrgyz Bokonbaevo village
Hand wash training under guidance of WECF's partner KAWS
EWA Kyrgyzstan: Kindle the interests of MPs on water and sanitation issues
A story of WECF’s partner STA