NGO Decentralised Environmental Solutions (DES) - A New WECF Partner in South Africa
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES) was founded in South Africa.
29.11.2011 | WECF
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES), the new WECF partner in South Africa, was founded.
DES's vision is to link energy, water and food security in policy and local action - "clean, lean and green". The NGO strives to promote self-sustainable communities through linking innovative environmental solutions to people’s livelihood strategies in South Africa and focuses mainly on the following issues:
- A healthier life through Improved Sanitation for All,
- Sustainable agriculture through usage of nutrient rich effluent and
- Food security and Job creation.
The starting points of the DES programme are the following projects:
- Memorandum of Understanding between eThekwini Municipality, BORDA, Khanyisa Projects and Universitiy of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) on the treatment and re-use of domestic wastewater in Newlands Mashu, Durban.
- Memorandum of Understanding between Ethekwini Municipality-BORDA-HERING-UKZN on prefabricated Community Ablution Blocks and DEWATS treatment modules
More detailed information about the activities of Decentralised Environmental Solution (DES) can be found on www.des-za.org and on BORDA-SADC website.
Kick-off meeting in Khamiskuri, Georgia: project “Managing Wastewater through Global Partnership”
Project and planning were discussed and the target villages were visited.
11.06.2014 | WECF
New Project approved: "Managing Wastewater through Global Partnership"
The project will contribute to the reduction of the pollution of the Black Sea caused by human settlements at the river Khobi flowing into the Black Sea.
04.06.2014 | WECF
New Publication: Developing a Water and Sanitation Safety Plan in a Rural Community
This Compendium aims to enable communities to develop a WSSP for small-scale water supplies, e.g. dug wells, boreholes, springs and piped centralised water supply systems, and as well as to assess the quality of sanitation facilities such as school toilets.
28.05.2014 | WECF
WECF presents 10 steps for developing Water and Sanitation Safety Plans
A two day training for teachers and local authorities enabling communities in Timisoara county, Romania, to develop their own WSSPs
28.05.2014 | WECF
Why do we need a Menstrual Hygiene Day?
Talk about menstruation, not only on May 28, Menstruation Hygiene Day
28.05.2014 | WICF