NGO Decentralised Environmental Solutions (DES) - A New WECF Partner in South Africa
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES) was founded in South Africa.
29.11.2011 | WECF
On 15 July 2011 NGO Decentralised Environment Solutions (DES), the new WECF partner in South Africa, was founded.
DES's vision is to link energy, water and food security in policy and local action - "clean, lean and green". The NGO strives to promote self-sustainable communities through linking innovative environmental solutions to people’s livelihood strategies in South Africa and focuses mainly on the following issues:
- A healthier life through Improved Sanitation for All,
- Sustainable agriculture through usage of nutrient rich effluent and
- Food security and Job creation.
The starting points of the DES programme are the following projects:
- Memorandum of Understanding between eThekwini Municipality, BORDA, Khanyisa Projects and Universitiy of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) on the treatment and re-use of domestic wastewater in Newlands Mashu, Durban.
- Memorandum of Understanding between Ethekwini Municipality-BORDA-HERING-UKZN on prefabricated Community Ablution Blocks and DEWATS treatment modules
More detailed information about the activities of Decentralised Environmental Solution (DES) can be found on www.des-za.org and on BORDA-SADC website.
World Toilet Day 2013
As of this year World Toilet Day (19th November) has been acknowledged official world day by the United Nations
18.11.2013 | WECF
WECF calls for women’s leadership in WASH
Budapest Water Summit: 8 to 11 October 2013
17.10.2013 | Anke Stock
What is needed to improve living conditions through sustainable innovations?
Resolution of the National Conference “Innovations towards a Safe and Comfortable Home”
05.10.2013 | WECF
11th Form pupils in Tadjikistan happy with their toilets "We never dared to visit the toilets on our own before"
WECF and partner ASDP Nau constructed ecotoilets with wash facilities for a school in Bobojon Gafurov, Tadjikistan, thanks to financial support form Natracare
02.10.2013 | WECF
First European Citizens’ Initiative collects almost 2 Million signatures across Europe!
As of yesterday the national branches of the right2water.eu campaign, including WECF who took on this task in the Netherlands, have been handing in the signatures collected
10.09.2013 | EPSU